3. tammikuuta 2017

5 tips: How to become a morning person


I always say that there are SO many things I want to do in life that 24 hours a day is just not nearly enough. That's why I love mornings. I love the feeling of being well rested and having the whole day ahead of me to do all these amazing things. I feel like I have always been a morning person but every now and then things like super late shifts at work or vacations ruin my sleeping pattern. That's when I need to start teaching my body and mind how to get back to being a morning person.

There are so many things you can do to achieve this and what works for one might not work for another so it's just about finding the right tricks that work for YOU. In this post I talk about some methods that work for me personally. Hope you find these helpful!

First let me give you a little background info about my situation. I have a job where I work almost only in the evenings so I really don't HAVE TO wake up early every morning. But the thing is that because I do need to work on my thesis AND my blog before work, I really want to get an early start on the day. I have found that if I sleep late I'm not really motivated to get anything done because I just want to have some free time before work. So I need to be able to get myself out of bed earlier. And here's how I do that!

Become a morning person

1. Go to bed earlier

Yeah yeah what else is new but just hear me out. An adult needs about 7 to 9 hours of sleep and this varies from person to person. The first thing you need to do is to figure out how much sleep do YOU need. However remember to keep in mind that too many hours of sleep on a regular basis actually makes you even MORE tired and makes you feel like a total zombie.

So figure out what is the optimal amount of sleep for you and at what time you would want to wake up in the mornings and then start going to bed according to that. For me I've found that about 8 to 8,5 hours is the best amount of sleep for me so if I want to get up by 7 am then I need to be in bed by 10:30 pm at the latest. 

2. Take small steps

If you're not a morning person and you're used to waking up at let's say 11 am it's going to be really hard to suddenly start getting up at 7 am. Try to take small steps that eventually get you where you want to be. So maybe first try getting up at 10:30 am the 10:00 am then 9:30 am and so on. You can even make these steps as small as 15 minutes. As long as you are getting up earlier than yesterday. By doing this you will wake up one day at 7 am and it's not going to feel as big of a change as it would have been jumping straight from 11 am to 7 am.

3. Stop the habit of snoozing

I never used to snooze. When the alarm went off I got out of bed. Period. Over the years I started to learn the habit of snoozing from my boyfriend and it has completely screwed up my mornings. I went from having the alarm go off at 7 am and getting up exactly then to having the alarm go off at 7 am and getting up maybe at 9 am. Not good. I hate that I've learned snoozing and getting rid of this awful habit is going to be one of my main goals for this year.

Because guess what! Snoozing doesn't help you. What it does is it interrupts your sleep over an over again which only makes you even more tired. You will just end up walking like a zombie for the rest of the day. So this habit needs to go. NOW.
become a morning person

4. Make it fun!

In our minds the whole idea of waking up early is usually connected to getting to work or school and that's why we usually don't want to get up. My favorite trick to get out of the bed early - and the one that gets me the best results - is to dedicate the first hours of the day to something fun.

I have found that I work best from 10 am to 3 pm and that's why I have created a system where I keep those as my working hours for my thesis and my blog and I can do fun stuff BEFORE that. So this means that if I want to spend two hours of the day playing the Sims then I better get up by 8 am because at 10 am sharp it's time to get working. This kind of a "carrot" makes me WANT to get up early because it basically means that the earlier I wake up the more time I have to play! Yay! Talk about motivation!

5. Make it a routine

Set up a routine to wake up at the same time every morning. After a while your body will begin to remember this and you will start waking up naturally at the same time even without that damn alarm clock. Score!


 Kata

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Jokainen kommentti piristää päivääni! ♥